This weekend the British Superbike Championship takes place at Mallory Park and Tommy Hill, the replacement rider for the injured Sylvain Guintoli, has already fulfilled his promise of putting a smile on a few faces.
The Worx Suzuki GSX-R1000 rider, topped the time-sheets in both of today’s free practice session, going faster in the afternoon and slicing two-tenths of a second of his best time set in the morning.
The Hydrex Honda of Karl Harris was in second place with James Ellison on the Airwaves Yamaha in third and Chris Walker on the Henderson/Motorpoint Yamaha in fourth.
Second Airwaves Yamaha rider Leon Camier, had been running in second place in the 50 minute morning session, but sat the afternoon out after developing mechanical problems on his machine.
John Laverty on the Buildbase Kawasaki finished the day in fifth followed by the HM Plant Honda pair, Josh Brookes and Steve Brogan in sixth and seventh respectively.
Julian de Costa finished in eighth place, despite crashing the MSS Colchester Kawasaki at Charlie’s during the session, followed in ninth place by Stuart Easton on the second Hydrex Honda and Graeme Gowland on the second Henderson/Motorpoint Yamaha in tenth.
Here are the times;
1. Tommy Hill GBR Worx Crescent Suzuki 56.227secs
2. Karl Harris GBR Hydrex Honda 56.591secs
3. James Ellison GBR Airwaves Yamaha 56.594secs
4. Chris Walker GBR Motorpoint/Henderson Yamaha 56.689secs
5. John Laverty IRL Buildbase Kawasaki 56.841secs
6. Josh Brookes AUS HM Plant Honda 56.898secs
7. Steve Brogan GBR HM Plant Honda 56.915secs
8. Julien Da Costa FRA MSS Colchester Kawasaki 57.003secs
9. Stuart Easton GBR Hydrex Honda 57.005secs
10. Graeme Gowland GBR Motorpoint/Henderson Yamaha 57.115secs
11. Michael Rutter GBR SMT Honda 57.182secs
12. Ian Lowry GBR Relentless TAS Suzuki 57.236secs
13. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team NB Suzuki 57.240secs Cup
14. David Johnson AUS Team Maxxis Adept Yamaha 57.265secs
15. Richard Cooper GBR Team Co-ordit Yamaha 57.304secs
16. Gary Mason GBR Quay Honda 57.333secs Cup
17. Simon Andrews GBR MSS Colchester Kawasaki 57.580secs
18. Tristan Palmer GBR Buildbase Kawasaki 57.614secs
19. Atsushi Watanabe JPN Relentless TAS Suzuki 57.680secs
20. Tom Tunstall GBR Hardinge Doodson Honda 57.720secs Cup
21. Kenny Gilbertson GBR JX Fuelcard Kawasaki 57.814secs Cup
22. Peter Hickman GBR Ultimate Yamaha 58.062secs Cup
23. Martin Jessopp GBR Riders Racing Honda 58.905secs Cup
24. Aaron Zanotti GBR Red Viper Honda 59.152secs
25. Michael Howarth GBR MV Agusta-JHS Racing 1min 01.078secs
26. Leon Camier GBR Airwaves Yamaha (No Time Set)