This weekend saw the British Superbike championship riders head to Oulton Park for a wet bank-holiday Monday outing with Stuart Easton and Michael Laverty taking victory in the two races.
In Race 1, Stuart Easton, on the only Swan Honda of the weekend, managed to hold back a challenging Tommy Hill to take the chequered flag by just 0.058 seconds.
It was the first win of the season for Easton after a fantastically quick get away off the line, his team-mate James Ellison, was unable to race this weekend due to the injuries he suffered at the last round of the championship.
Hill on the Worx Crescent Suzuki had qualified in pole position and stuck to the tail of the Swan Honda for the entire race while his team-mate Yukio Kagayama, crashed out at Island bend on the opening lap.
Michael Rutter on the Ridermotorcycles.com Ducati was running in an impressive fourth place and attempting to pass the HM Plant Honda of Josh Brookes but ran wide and within a few laps was forced to retire from the race.
On lap 2, Ian Lowry on the Motorpoint Yamaha, crashed out at the Shell Oils corner ending his race followed moments later by Christian Idden on the Sorrymate.com Honda at Brittens.
The second HM Plant Honda rider Ryuichi Kiyonari had been running in fifth place until Alstair Seeley on the Relentless Suzuki began to pile on the pressure behind him, eventually making a move up the inside at Shell Oils corner on lap 9, forcing the Honda rider wide and moving him down to seventh. Kiyonai later retired from the race.
John Laverty on the Buildbase Kawasaki and his brother Michael on the Relentless Suzuki, appeared to be racing each other on the track with Michael running wide on lap 16 of the race leaving enough space for John to get through and move in to fifth place.
Easton crossed the line for the win followed by Hill in second and an impressive John Laverty in third after a fantastic final lap.
Alastair Seeley finished in fourth place ahead of Michael Laverty in fifth, Josh Brookes in sixth, Gary Mason on the MSS Colchester Kawasaki in seventh, Chris Walker on the second MSS Kawasaki in eighth, Dan Linfoot on the Motorpoint Yamaha in ninth and Tommy Bridewell on the Quay Garage Honda in tenth.
Here are the results;
1. Stuart Easton GBR Swan Honda 28mins 55.815s 18 laps
2. Tommy Hill GBR Worx Crescent Suzuki +00.058s
3. John Laverty GBR Buildbase Kawasaki +10.399s
4. Alastair Seeley GBR Relentless by TAS Suzuki +10.843s
5. Michael Laverty GBR Relentless by TAS Suzuki +10.849s
6. Josh Brookes AUS HM Plant Honda +11.073s
7. Gary Mason GBR MSS Colchester Kawasaki +23.428s
8. Chris Walker GBR MSS Colchester Kawasaki +27.478s
9. Dan Linfoot GBR Motorpoint Yamaha +35.997s
10. Tommy Bridewell GBR Quay Garage Honda +36.709s
11. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati +37.359s
12. Peter Hickman GBR Ultimate Racing Yamaha +43.608s
13. Adam Jenkinson GBR Buildbase Kawasaki +47.997s
14. Hudson Kennaugh RSA MAR Kawasaki +48.550s E
15. Steve Brogan GBR Jentin Racing BMW +59.109s E
16. David Anthony AUS MIST Suzuki Racing +59.203s E
17. Gary Johnson GBR AIM Suzuki +1m 04.680s E
18. David Johnson GBR TwoWheelTuning.com Suzuki +1m 12.038s E
19. Aaron Zanotti GBR Red Viper Spike Suzuki +1m 22.557s E
20. Pauli Pekkanen FIN 777 RR Motorsport Suzuki +1 lap E
21. Peter Ward GBR Astro-Chase SST Racing Kawasaki +1 lap E
22. Michael Howarth GBR Magic Bullet Two Wheel Suzuki +1 lap E
23. Michael O’Brien GBR Motomob/O’Brien Hifi +1 lap E
DNF. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN HM Plant Honda 12 laps completed
DNF. Craig Fitzpatrick GBR Close Print Finance Honda 6 laps completed E
DNF. Michael Rutter GBR Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati 5 laps completed
DNF. Christian Iddon GBR Sorrymate.com SMT Honda 3 laps completed
DNF. Tom Tunstall GBR Doodson Motorsport Honda 3 laps completed
DNF. Alex Lowes GBR Redline KTM 3 laps completed E
DNF. Ian Lowry GBR Motorpoint Yamaha 1 lap completed
DNF. Yukio Kagayama JPN Worx Crescent Suzuki 0 laps completed
Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN HM Plant Honda 1m 35.859s
David Anthony AUS MIST Suzuki Racing 1m 37.841s E
Michael Laverty appeared to be the happiest man on the planet yesterday after sealing his first win in the second race of the day for the Relentless Suzuki team.
With very changeable weather conditions for the third round of the championship, Laverty rode a faultless race to secure his number one spot on the podium.
It was the HM Plant Honda rider Ryuichi Kiyonari who got to the front as the race got underway ahead of Tommy Hill and Michael Laverty. However, Laverty was already on a mission and had moved past the championship leader to move up to second place as they headed to the Shell Oils corner.
Michael Rutter on the Ridersmotorcyles.com Ducati had moved into fourth place by the second lap before passing Kiyonari. Rutter and Kiyonari swapped the position once again before Rutter made the move stick and Laverty slipped back to fourth place.
Michael Laverty crossed the line to take the victory on his maiden win ahead of an impressive Michael Rutter and third placed man, championship leader Tommy Hill.
In fourth place was Ryuichi Kiyonari followed by John Laverty, Alastair Seeley, Tommy Bridewell, Josh Brookes, Hudson Kennaugh and Adam Jenkinson.
Stuart Easton failed to finish in the second race after struggling for grip. He was seen returning to the pits with a possible rear tyre problem but it later turned out to be a problem with the electronics and he later retired.
Chris Burns was forced to miss both races this weekend after his wrist injury failed to heal in time following the surgery only 12 days ago. The Splitlath Motorsport Aprilia rider, found the practice and qualifying stints to painful to endure and was forced to withdraw on the morning of the race.
Here are the results;
1. Michael Laverty GBR Relentless by TAS Suzuki 27mins 26.150secs 15 laps
2. Michael Rutter GBR Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati +06.000s
3. Tommy Hill GBR Worx Crescent Suzuki +11.333s
4. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN HM Plant Honda +16.029s
5. John Laverty GBR Buildbase Kawasaki +23.590s
6. Alastair Seeley GBR Relentless by TAS Suzuki +27.258s
7. Tommy Bridewell GBR Quay Garage Honda +30.287s
8. Josh Brookes AUS HM Plant Honda +30.823s
9. Hudson Kennaugh RSA MAR Kawasaki +32.463s E
10. Adam Jenkinson GBR Buildbase Kawasaki +54.950s
11. Chris Walker GBR MSS Colchester Kawasaki +56.620s
12. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati +59.748s
13. Aaron Zanotti GBR Red Viper Spike Suzuki +59.957s E
14. Dan Linfoot GBR Motorpoint Yamaha +1m 10.760s
15. Steve Brogan GBR Jentin Racing BMW +1m 11.833s E
16. David Anthony AUS MIST Suzuki Racing +1m 14.396s E
17. Peter Hickman GBR Ultimate Racing Yamaha +1m 35.805s
18. Gary Johnson GBR AIM Suzuki +1m 44.656s E
19. Pauli Pekkanen FIN 777 RR Motorsport Suzuki +1m 54.437s E
20. Alex Lowes GBR Redline KTM +1 lap E
21. David Johnson GBR TwoWheelTuning.com Suzuki +1 lap E
22. Craig Fitzpatrick GBR Close Print Finance Honda +1 lap E
23. Michael Howarth GBR Magic Bullet Two Wheel Suzuki +1 lap E
24. Peter Ward GBR Astro-Chase SST Racing Kawasaki +1 lap E
DNF. Gary Mason GBR MSS Colchester Kawasaki 13 laps completed
DNF. Ian Lowry GBR Motorpoint Yamaha 10 laps completed
DNF. Stuart Easton GBR Swan Honda 8 laps completed
DNF. Christian Iddon GBR Sorrymate.com SMT Honda 0 laps completed
Michael Laverty GBR Relentless by TAS Suzuki 1m 48.173s
Hudson Kennaugh RSA MAR Kawasaki 1m 49.813s E